Oral Health is extremely important to your overall health and well-being. Poor oral health can be the cause and sign of multiple diseases and chronic conditions such as diabetes and heart disease.
However, oral health care is not just about the teeth and gums; it also includes the health of the bones and muscles in your mouth. In other words, it is not just about oral hygiene—good oral health goes beyond brushing and flossing. The food we consume and the nutrients we get from them affect our oral health. Too much sugar intake will destroy not only your oral health but your whole body as well.
A balanced diet and good oral hygiene are proven to be the best way to achieve good oral health. They do not only prevent diseases, but they help boost your physical and emotional confidence.
Here is a list of tips for better oral health care:
- Drink plenty of water
- Limit sugary foods and drinks
- Choose healthy snacks, e.g. fruits and vegetables
- Brush and floss your teeth/dentures at least twice a day
- Gently brush all sides of your teeth/dentures with a soft-bristled brush. Use circular and short back-and-forth strokes.
- Brush your gums, tongue and palate every morning before inserting your dentures. This helps to stimulate circulation and aids in plaque removal.
- Fluoride mouth rinses can be effective in removing decay.
- Your dentures should be clean, well-fitting and intact.
- Place your dentures in a denture cleanser soaking solution or in plain water when you’re not wearing them. Never use hot water, which can cause them to warp.
- Get your dentures reviewed regularly.
Oral health checks:
- See your dental prosthetist if your dentures break, chip, crack or become loose. Do not readjust them yourself.
- Everyone has different oral health needs and risk levels which should be reflected in the frequency of check-ups, therefore see your dentist regularly.
- Quit smoking to improve oral and general health.
We are always here to help.
Finally, if you need help or assistance, please ask your friendly nurses at Vital Home Health Services.